Durability with better performance
As with solid resins, Matrix can tailor the physical and mechanical properties of elastomers, such as polyurethane or silicone, via the addition of reinforcement fibres and other particulates. The resulting materials are often used as wear products in mining or deep water insulation for oil and gas applications.
Examples of filled elastomers and their effect on mechanical properties:
- Hollow glass microspheres are used to improve insulation properties and reduce density
- Carbon black is added to improve impact and flexural strength and to modify electrical properties
- Short fibre reinforcements will improve tear propagation and wear properties
- Ceramic particles, again for improved wear resistance and to otherwise modify tribology
- Intumescent particles will improve the fire resistance of a product.